Yesterday I finished up the new path; here’s what it looks like!
I should have taken more pictures of the work in progress, but I was in a rush. And I improvised a lot from material that came to hand, like any good permaculturalist.
First I arranged the marble scrap in a pleasing fashion. This involved some digging and smoothing with a trowel to sink the scraps into the path, but level with the surface and the borders. (Because some of the scraps had sharp-ish edges, I didn’t lay them on top of the stone dust, like a Japanese garden might.) Sometimes I went over to the failed path and dug up some more scraps.
Then I thought things would be dull if the path had no floral border, so I arranged logs from the woodpile in parallel along sides of the path, like planters, and then filled them with seafood compost. Then I broadcast Wildflower and Pollinator-attracting seed mixes from Fedco into the planters. Here’s the arrangement: Read the rest of this entry »
Literally! Because sheet mulching with newspapers does just that: It covers the garden with words. Maybe that’s why I like to use newspapers and not cardboard or leaves.
Except the raspberry patch pictured here I never did sheet mulch, so where that upside down “of” came from — word, sentence, or page — I don’t know. Except that it came from somewhere else.
In the growing season, these beds I covered with seafood compost, and over that I laid down long cut grass from the remaining lawn-like areas. (I don’t use a mower because that’s too much like work; instead, I let the grass grow long and cut big swatches of it with garden shears for green manure and a light block, both together). The raspberries were happy, and the weeds were well controlled (though you can see evil Norway Maple seed pods trying to gatecrash by hiding in the straw). The straw I laid down at the end of the season, along with leaves.
And now it’s spring again, and here come the violets, poking up through the straw. And now I have to start buying the paper again!